White / Chartrand Family Tree

Laurena Alexandra White


Father Date of Birth Mother Date of Birth
Henry White 1866-11-15 Matilda Jelly 1870-08-20

Person Chart


Partner Date of Birth Children
John Irving Robertson 1895-04-25
Stanley Damen Snider 1896-09-20 Stanley Henry Damon Snider

Person Events

Event Type Date Place Description
Birth 1902-08-12 Shelburne, Dufferin, Ontario, Canada
Marriage 1924
Death of spouse Stanley /Snider/ 1930-06-30
Death of spouse Irving John /Robertson/ 1982-01-22
Occupation Special Needs Teacher
Death 1990-03-27 Barrie, Simcoe, Ontario, Canada


From Residents A-Z Grove Park Home [GPH] Barrie

ROBERTSON, Laurena ("Laurie") Alexandra White SNIDER
12/08/ 1902-27/03/1990

B. Shelburne; grew up next door to the Anglican rectory, in a house
that is still there ( 1987) ; one of five children: two girls, a boy
and then, after her mother was 40, two more boys. Her grandmother was
a Jelly.

In high school she was captain of the basketball team: the Shelburne
high school yearbook of 1921 records that she had gone on to Normal
school "preparing for the work of instilling into the minds of the
young some of the knowledge with which her own is crammed."

Mrs. R. married and moved to Tweed; became involved in her husband's
business: the Stedman's store. Three weeks before son Stan was born
in 1930 her husband Stan died. She later returned to teaching in
Hockley Valley, at Cookstown, and then at Milton - this last move so
that Stan could have a better educational advantage: she said that at
Cookstown he got good grades but did not excell in sports, so he was

When Stan was in high school they moved to Barrie with her new
husband, Irving Robertson. Mr. R. predeceased her before her move to
GPH. Mrs. R. taught grade land 2 and devoted herself to what is now
called "special education," specifically to dyslexic children, with
whom she had considerable success. She had many long-time friends:
e.g., Aileen SAUNDERS, Lila JONES (from 1947), and Velma MACDONALD.
Mrs. R. was an avid reader and I enjoyed talking books with her; she
also played bridge. Mrs. R. was raised Anglican and became United
Church with her first marriage; then Presbyterian with her second,
according to the proprieties of the time.

At GPH Mrs. Robertson was a member of the Recollections Group and
contributed the following stories to Tales of Yesteryear, vol. 1-"The
Pioneer House of My Grandparents"; The Jelly Family"; The Baby";
"Moments of Crisis."

She provided the following recollection for the Spotlight, Nov.-Dec.

"Recollection of Day May 10, 1983"

A vivid recollection of strange sights on May 10, 1983 in Portugal.
Our tour guide told us that in 1917, on May 13, three shepherd
children in the hills saw an image of Mary. Ever since then, on that
date, a great pilgrimage is held at a shrine called Fatima, not far
from the fishing village of Nazare. We were to travel by bus through
this area on May 10, 1983. It was said [that] if people lived not
farther than 100 miles they felt it was an honor to walk, but buses
would drive them home. I wish my word imagery were able to bring the
picture of what we saw that day as vividly as I recall, but I know I
can't possibly.

As we drew near the area, the roads and roadsides were crowded with
people walking leisurely towards Fatima, old and young, rich and
poor, healthy and frail they trudged along with bundles and canes.
The bundles were rolled in very bright plastic covers, many I yard
wide, their yellow, red, green and bright blue contrasting with the
many black costumes and shawls. Food stands were plentiful along the

About noon we came to the Shrine of Fatima. The large church stood
high above many steps, but there were great tents where mass was
being said; we were free to stand and watch. Everywhere was quiet.

Leading from the Shrine was a long path about six feet wide as far as
a block of houses and on a rise of land.. This path was filled with
pilgrims moving to the shrine in a slow, reverend manner. Some
walking, some limping, some moving on knees, some on hands and knees,
and some completely prone, crawling along in religious fervour.

This would go on for three days, culminating on May 18. We were
deeply impressed and felt a bit subdued in the presence of such

Funeral: St. Andrew's Presbyterian, Barrie; interment: in her
father's plot at Shelburne.

Son Stan and daughter-in-law Eileen Snider live at Port Severn. GPH:

Stories published in "Tales of Yesteryear" published by the
"Recollections Group" of Grove Park Home for Seniors, Barrie



Laurie Robertson

When I was a little girl, one of my nicest recollections was our
Sunday visits to my Jelly grandparents' home. We went in a buggy in
good weather and a cutter in winter.

The large pioneer log house was a mile from the main street in
Shelburne. I remember we always went in the back door to a large.
square kitchen, which had a long table and chairs on one side, and a
large wood stove and rocking chair on the other side. with a big
couch against the wall. A big collie dog was nearby always in front
of the stove, with a few kittens lying on his outstretched paws.

The front part of the house was made of one very large sitting room
whose most important piece of furniture was a large organ.

A central staircase led upstairs, which had two large rooms, one on
each side of the hall. One room was for 5 boys and the hired men. The
other room was for the 4 girls and the hired girl. Beneath the rooms
downstairs were two bedrooms - one for the parents. and one for
guests who mostly came from Brockville, where the Jellys had come

From this log house, 9 children grew and thrived. The girls'
education was school to Gr. VIII. Then organ and vocal lessons. and
regular classes in a sewing school. That was the education of my
mother and her sisters.

When I was 7 my grandparents moved into Shelburne. Now the town has
grown out past the old log home and the creek where we played. That
creek was the beginning of a branch of the Nottawasaga River which
after many miles entered into Georgian Bay.


Laurie Robertson

My mother's family had the peculiar Irish name of Jelly - just j-e-l-
l-y. They came from North Ireland not far from Belfast. They settled
near Brockville, Ont. on good farm land and began to form a small
settlement named Jellyby which in due time had a church, a school.
and later a small railway station.

Large families were the pattern and many strong sons and daughters
grew up, and homes had to be built. Great-grandfather Jelly bought a
quite large tract of land in what is now called Dufferin County,
settled 4 sons on equal squares and called it Jelly's Corners; soon a
small settlement grew. The brother William is still spoken of as the
father of the village. Also John, who never married. Andrew, and
Simon my grandfather made farms there.

The Jellyby families and Jelly's Corners families travelled back and
forth between Brockville and Shelburne - a distance of 225 miles - by
horse teams at first and later train. I recall going with my mother
and grandfather to visit Brockville. I liked to go to school with my
cousins, because we carried lunch in a little pail.

These were the roots of my childhood. Only one cousin my age still
lives there, but the original farm north of Brockville is still
operated as a large dairy concern by the descendants of this strong
family, More of the four brothers later.*

(The book refers to "Moments of Crisis" as more on the four brothers,
but that story is about Art and Fred. I don't think Aunt Laurena
finished the stories on the other Jelly brothers.)


Laurie Robertson

When I was a small child I had a habit of fainting if not given
breakfast first off, and so it became a habit to have food first.

About three weeks after I turned seven, on my way home from school,
which was only two doors down the street, someone called to me that
my mother and father had been to a wedding at the Anglican church
next door and had brought home a baby brother.

Greatly excited, because in those days children were not told of
expected babies, I tore into the house and was taken upstairs to see
the new baby. I recall wondering why Mother would take off her good
clothes and go to bed in the afternoon just to show the baby to

Then I saw the guest who had come from Toronto to visit a few days
before, dressed in a nurse's uniform, and she was very bossy to me.
Next morning there was a fuss in the kitchen because Mother's help
wanted to give me breakfast first as ordered, and the nurse wanted to
get Mother's breakfast. I recall sitting in a rocker in the kitchen,
and the fuss when I fainted and fell to the floor.

It was the first time I recall the feeling of someone not liking me,
and openly showing it, as the nurse had to give way to Mother's


Laurie Robertson

My little brothers were lively! One little brother fell out of the
row boat by jerking too hard on my mother's knee. His clothes formed
a float and mom just calmly reached out and hauled him in again.

The same baby brother, toddling, fell in the stove-pipe hole in one
of the bedrooms and there he stuck. His stomach was too fat for him
to fall through, also too fat to pull him out easily. I recall mother
working with her hands to ease the stomach one way or the other while
Louise, the house help, stood on a chair below in case he went that
way. They did manage to work him out.

On another occasion baby brother wandered off down town, dressed only
in a napkin, my father's cap and cane. Mother would bath and dress
one boy at a time all but the top clothes and set him aside to do the
other boy. Arthur wandered out. My recollection was finding him on
the Main Street and having to lug him home in front of people. We
were going on a picnic and every one was in a hurry - all a great
embarrassment to me.

I remember mother's consternation the time Arthur popped the floating
Ivory soap into the teapot when we had guests and mother poured out
soap suds.

AR-3122 A Yearbook, Shelburne High School, 1921, Type: Book Excerpt
Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. White, of Shelburne, was born in 1902 and has always lived here. She passed her High School entrance in 1916 and completed her Lower School examination in 1919. Laurena was one of our best basketball players on our basketball team, as many of our "forward" opponents learned to their sorrow when they were blocked on the "defense." Besides being captain of the team, during her final year here she was also Recording Secretary of the V.L.S. She was exceedingly popular with all her schoolmates and was a good student and worked hard to attain the success she had achieved, when she graduated from our High School in the summer of 1921. Laurena is now working hard at Normal, preparing for the work of instilling into the minds of the young some of the knowledge with which her won is crammed.



Irv & Laurena