|Partner||Date of Birth||Children|
|Matilda Jelly||1870-08-20||Velma Victoria White
Laurena Alexandra White
Henry Morrison White
Arthur Henry White
Frederick Elwood White
|Birth||1866-11-15||Maple Valley, Simcoe, Ontario, Canada|
|Marriage||1895-09-11||Shelburne, Dufferin, Ontario, Canada|
|Founding of H. White & Company||ABT 1900||Shelburne, Dufferin, Ontario, Canada|
|Death||1935-11-16||Shelburne, Dufferin, Ontario, Canada|
|Burial||Shelburne Cemetery, Dufferin, Ontario, Canada|
|From conversation with Fred White Aug 28/1997
Henry White was a grain buyer for the Richardson company and then the S. M. O'Flynn company. In those days, the farmers would bring their grain to town by wagon or sleigh. There were two mills in the town of Shelburne. The buyers would meet them in the street before they got to the Mill and attempt to make a deal.
Notes for HENRY WHITE:
From the History of Shelburne Pg. 160
On the death of his father, young Henry took over the boot and shoe business
for some time, but later gave it up to take employment with William
G. Richardson in the grain, seed and feed trade, a move that was
later to make him one of Shelburne's most successful merchants. He
retained this position after the transfer of the business to S.F.M.
O'Flynn in November 1886, but some time during the 1890's he entered
the employ of the E. Berwick Company as a grain buyer until 1899 when
he joined Edward Berwick and Robert A. Riky, two of Shelburne's most
successful merchants, to form a new enterprise to be known as H.
White and Company, the company to have full use of the old Berwick
grain elevator. A new downtown office was located in the Royal Block
for approximately one year when the almost new Carson Block became
available at a price of $3,500.00.
This was to become the head office and retail store for the company
for the next 60 years. Henry established a reputation as a fair and
square but shrewd businessman. He served the municipality as both
councillor and reeve. He was a long time member of the Shelburne
Public School Board, serving as chairman for 15 years. He was an
Anglican by faith and was warden of St. Paul's Anglican Church of
Shelburne for many years. He was appointed official auditor of the
books of the corporation on several occasions from 1896.
Henry passed away on November 16th 1935, in his 70th year, leaving
his sons Arthur and Fred to carry on the still extensive business.
Henry Jr. was born at maple Valley on November 15th, 1866 and was
married to Matilda Jelly, a daughter of Shelburne pioneer Simon
Jelly. Matilda was born on August 30th, 1870 and passed away on
January 26th, 1965 at the great age of 95 years. About 1919, they
acquired the beautiful former residence of Frederick H. Silk, still
known as Buena Vista.
Shelburne Free Press and Economist, July 25th, 1918
DDGM - At the annual meeting of the Masonic Grand Lodge held at
Windsor last week Henry White, of H. White and Co., of Shelburne was
elected District Deputy Grand Master of Grey District No. 25. The
Masonic Lodges in the District are, Orangeville, Shelburne, Dunda1k,
Flesherton, Markdale, and two in Owen Sound, Grand Valley, Arthur,
Mt. Forest, Durham, Erin.
3. Orangeville Banner 1935 some deaths
WHITE, Harry; 68; ; Orangeville Banner; 1935-11-21
Provider: Shelburne Free Press and Economist
Source Type: Article
Date: 20 Jun 1935
Shelburne Free Press and Economist, June 20, 1935
Harry White, of Shelburne, is receiving the congratulations of his friends for having won the 1934 Correspondence Checker Championship, with one win and three draws; also at the same time winning his 1935 series games from Mr. Kingsland with one win and three draws.
Provider: Shelburne Free Press and Economist
Source Type: Obituary
Date: 21 Nov 1935
Shelburne Free Press & Economist, November 21, 1935 - HENRY WHITE: "ONE OF SHELBURNES OLDEST BUSINESS MEN HAS PASSED ON"
In the pausing of Henry White, about ten o'clock, Saturday night, November 16th, 1935, Shelburne lost a highly respected citizen and one of its oldest and most prominent business men. Suddenly stricken the Saturday previous, the deceased had never rallied. He had just entered on his 70th year, his 69th birthday being the day prior to his death.
Deceased was head of the firm of H. White & Co. Limited, and had been prominent in the life of the community for a large number of years. He was Councilor in 1904, Reeve in 1905 and 1906, and School Trustee for fifteen years from 1916 to 1929, being Chairman for several years before resigning from the Board. He was an Anglican and for several years was a Warden of St. Paul's Church. An ardent curler, he was a member of the Canadian rinks that paid a visit to the Old Land a number of years ago. He was quite fond of checker playing also, and was the winner of the 1934 Ontario Correspondence Checker Championship. In politics he was a Conservative. He was a member of Lorne Lodge No. 377, A.F. & A.M., Prince Edward Chapter No. 218, R.A.M., and of L.O.L. No. 1321, Shelburne. He was a Past Master of Lorne Lodge and a Past District Deputy Grand Master of Grey Masonic District.
Born at Maple Valley, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Henry White, he received his education at what was known as Beech Valley School, near Maple Valley, his teacher being Mr. Stewart who was quite widely known for his contributions to the press under the pen name, "Toby Spratt." When he was a young boy his parents came to Shelburne. His father, who had been in business as a shoemaker at Maple Valley, engaged in the same business in Shelburne, but died not long after coming to Shelburne. After his father's death, "Harry" (as he has always been known) carried on the shoemaking for a time until doctors told him a change was necessary for the benefit of his health. He then spent six months working on a farm near Rosemont, alter which he came back to town to work in the feed store of the late Wm. Richardson. When Mr. Richardson sold his business to the late S. F. M. O'Flynn, "Harry" continued to work for Mr. O'Flynn. In 1900 the firm of H. White & Co. was formed. It became a limited company in 1911. Deceased, was an extremely capable business man and made a decided success of his business.
Deceased married Matilda Jelly, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Simon Jelly, who survives him. He also leaves two sons and two daughters, all of Shelburne: Arthur H., Fred E., Velma V., and Mrs. Stanley Snider (Laurena). One brother and three sisters also survive: Robert, Shelburne; Mrs. E. M. Rosevear, Webster Groves, Missouri, Mrs. Mewman Craig, Lloydminster, Sask.; Miss Annie, Shelburne.
The funeral, which took place from the late residence, Owen Sound Street, to Shelburne Cemetery, Tuesday afternoon, was under Masonic auspices, and was very largely attended. The service was conducted by Rev. Dr. R. P. D. Hurford, rector of St. Paul's Church, and the Masonic service was conducted by officers of Lorne Lodge, assisted by R. W. Bro. Dr. M. W. Berwick, of Grand Valley, Past D.D.G.M. A Masonic quartette sang at the graveside. There were a large number of beautiful floral tributes to testify to the esteem in which deceased was held. The pallbearers were Messrs. John Reburn, Jas. H. McKee, A. E. Rosevear, D. Henderson, J. E. A. White and A. H. Jelly. The flowerbearers were fellow members of Lorne Lodge.
Relatives from other points who attended the funeral were: Mrs. Harold Brooker, Mr. Harry White, Mr. and Mrs. Gordon White, Mr. and Mrs. John Farnell, Niagara Falls; Mrs. Jas. Morrison, Mrs. Leeming, Mrs. Hemingway, Mr. and Mrs. Percy Little, Seaforth; Mr. Wm. Jelly, Brockville; Mr. and Mrs. Albert Ruby and Mr. Sargent Ruby, Midland; Rev. A. W. and Mrs. Gardiner, Londesboro; Mr. and Mrs. E. Varcoe and Mrs. M. J. Muter, Hamilton; Mr. and Mrs. Len Bowers, Mrs. Alex. Marks, Mr. Richard White, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Hunter, Mr. John Wilson, Mr. and Mrs. Robt. Hall, Mrs. L. Ferrier, Mrs. Harry Weiland, Mr. and Mrs. A. McKee, Mr. Andrew Jelly, Toronto; Mr. Robt. Whitley, Everett; Mr. Thos. Dawson, Orangeville.
Among those from other points who attended the funeral of the late H. White, on Monday were: Mr. Jas. Cassie, Toronto; Mr. S. H. Rutledge, Orangeville; Judge W. T. Robb, Orangeville; Hon. W. Earl Rowe, Newton Robinson; Dr. M. W. Berwick, Grand Valley; Mr. H. J. Reburn, Grand Valley; Mr. J. E. Smith, Orangeville.
Shelburne Free Press, Date: 24 Aug 1916,
Shelburne Free Press, August 24, 1916, A Big Sale:
H. White & Co., Limited, of Shelburne, Secures a Big Seed Order from the Ontario Government.
Shortly after the destructive fires in New Ontario a deputation representing the farmers in the burnt out districts waited on the Ontario Government requesting that the farmers who had lost their crops and meadows be given one hundred pounds of seed, free of all costs. The government granted the request and will deliver free to each farmer, burnt out, 70 lbs. Timothy seed, 20 lbs. Red Clover and 10 lbs. Alsike. In case one farmer has not enough land to require that amount of seed it will be divided between two farmers in the same locality. The amount of seed required for this free distribution was arrived at by sending out Inspectors to each locality ravaged by the fires and, on their reports sent in, the Minister in charge asked for tenders from all the wholesale seed firms in Canada for 36,000 lbs. of Timothy seed, 10,200 lbs. of Red Clover and 5,100 lbs. Alsike. We have the pleasure in stating that in open competition with all the large firms in Ontario the contract was let to H. White & Co., Limited, Shelburne. This is quite an honor to our little town to have a firm capable of competing with the largest seed firms in our cities. The amount of the sale made will be about $6,000. The timothy will be put up in 70 lb. Bags, Red Clover in 20 lb. Bags and the Alsike in 10 lb. Bags. The bags will be furnished by the government and as Messrs. White & Co. have the seed on hand they will commence to get the shipment ready as soon as the bags arrive.
Shelburne Free Press, Date: 08 Sep 1927,
Shelburne Free Press - September 8, 1927: TOBACCO GROWING IN SHELBURNE
Mr. Harry White, local seed merchant, has something novel for this part of the country at his lot on the corner of Main and Adeline Sts. in the shape of about forty tobacco plants. The plants are now about thirty inches high and have grown steadily and healthy all summer. Probably tobacco has been grown before now in this district but it is the first we have heard of.
The success attending the experiment prompts Mr. White to consider the growing of tobacco on a commercial scale next year on his farm north of town.
We have watched the tobacco during the past few weeks but hesitated mentioning it in our columns till now, not that there are dishonest people about but, oh well, you can’t always sometimes tell.
Orangeville Banner, Date: 05 Jun 1919, Page: 8, Column: 3, Type: Article
Mr. D. Henderson had purchased the St. Paul's Church rectory in Shelburne. The St. Paul's people have purchased as a rectory Mr. Harry White's residence, immediately to the south of the church. Mr. White in turn has bought Mr. F. H. Silk's house.
|A Short History of H. White & Co. Ltd.|