|Partner||Date of Birth||Children|
|Eliza Ann Morrison||1840||William John Jelly
Robert Alex Jelly
Mary Amelia Jelly
Margaret Selina Jelly
Simon Andrew Jelly
|Birth||1834-07-14||Jellyby, Leeds and Grenville, Ontario, Canada|
|Purchased 250 Acres||1862||Melancthon Township, Dufferin, Ontario, Canada|
|Death of spouse Eliza Ann /Morrison/||1909-10-23|
|Death||1925-12-24||Hamilton, Ontario, Canada|
|Burial||Shelburne Cemetery, Dufferin, Ontario, Canada|
|John Rose Book gives birth year as 1839 Aunt Laurena's notes say 1834
The following story was taken from a history of the Jelly Family written by Morris Jelly. As a prelude, Morris states that he does not know who wrote the original story. The orriginal is in the Dufferin County Museum
About 1860, the Jelly brothers were clearing land at the Jellyby property. According to Simon, he played off sick and after the others went to work, he took the old shotgun and went through the bush to see the Morrison girl. He was sweet on her. He met her brothers and while standing on a log talking, the butt of the gun slipped off the log. His fingers slipped up the barrel, over the
end, as the hammer hit the log. The gun discharged through his fingers, some of the pieces hitting him in the forehead. This entailed a trip back to Brockville to a Doctor who suggested a new drug called chloroform, but Simon woke up after taking it. Simon said..." Give me a good shot of whiskey and go ahead"
In 1862 he bought 250 acres in Melancthon. This land is now located in the village of Shelburne. Shortly after he and Eliza Ann Morrison married and headed for the bush of Melancthon.
I was also told that come the first Christmas, his father butchered three pigs and made the one week trip with horses to their homestead. He was hoping the meat would see them through the winter.
Simon suffered another mishap while doing statute labour (roadwork) his team had run and his hip was broken. He would always use a cane.
History of Shelburne - page 23 -
Simon Jelly, like his brothers, was born at the village of Jellyby in Leeds county in the year 1839. He was apparently the first of the brothers to appear in our area. He took up 250 acres of crown lands in 1862-on both sides of the future Owen Sound Street, and on both
sides of the future Shelburne boundaries. It was said that Simon was much interested in the orderly development of his adopted community. His good judgement and progressive outlook was much sought after, and he applied those characteristics to his everyday life.
Simon it was who provided the labour to erect the split cedar rail fences along the north side of "Main Street" and both sides of Owen Sound Street during the dispute over ownership of the road allowances in the 1860s. He served on the Melancthon Township council for four years from 1867 to 1870 inclusive, and for the year 1879. He was a
charter member of Shelburne Loyal Orange Lodge and was instrumental in its organisation being elected to the seat of Deputy Master.
He was the driving force behind the establishment of the Shelburne Cheese Factory, erected in 1887 on the banks of Cheese Factory Creek at Cummings Corners. From 1891 to 1898 inclusive he was a member of the Shelburne School Board.
He was one of the originators of the Shelburne Driving Club and a strong supporter of the Melancthon Agricultural Society and the Dufferin Central Fair. In the year 1894, he established a herd of pure bred Hereford cattle. In 1906, a 2,000 foot hole was drilled on his farm in the search for minerals.
Simon was married to the former Elizabeth Ann Morrison, who was born near Brockville in 1840. The couple bore 9 children. Eliza Ann died on October 23rd, 1909, at the age of 70 years. Simon survived her by some 16 years, passing away on December 17th, 1925, at the age of 87
The influence of these founders on the growth of the village will permeate almost every phase of its development during the latter half of the nineteenth century, as the reader will discover as the story progresses.
From McGill digital Library
Concession and Lot
History of Dufferin County
The late Simeon Jelly was one of the early pioneers of Shelburne and district. Mr. Jelly came to Melancthon about The time or the American Clvil War. He purchased the farm on which a considerable par! or the village of Shelburne now stands. He was for many years one of the most. progressive farmers in the township. In the early years Mr. Jelly was a prominent and efficient member of Melancthon township council. He was an active member of the Orange Order, a member of the Anglican church, and in politics a life long Conservative.
09 Oct 1902
Shelburne Economist, October 9, 1902, Lots of Grain:
Mr. Simon Jelly has received a letter from Mr. J. J. Rooney, of Elm Creek, Man., stating that he has over 8,000 bushels of grain this year – about 4,500 bushels of wheat, 2,000 of barley and 1,500 of oats. The wheat average 32 bushels to the acre all round – 30 acres averaging 37 ½ bushels. At time of writing he had sold two cars of wheat at 60 ½ c and one car at 60 ¼ c.
Shelburne Free Press, December 24, 1925 -
SIMON JELLY PASSES AWAY IN HAMILTON.
On Thursday morning last the news came to Shelburne by telephone of the death of Simon Jelly, who might aptly be termed Shelburne's "Grand Old Man," at the General Hospital, Hamilton after a brief illness. He had gone to Hamilton about five weeks ago to spend the winter months with his youngest daughter, Mrs. Milton J. Muter.
The late Simon Jelly was born near Brockville, in the township of Elizabethtown, 86 years ago. He was a son of an early settler of that municipality and spent the school days of his life in what is known as Jellyby, the settlement having been named after his father, the late John Jelly. He was one of a large family, all of whom predeceased him. He came west and settled in the township of Melancthon in the year 1862, part of the farm he settled on now being within the Corporation of the village of Shelburne.
In his passing way, Shelburne loses one of the last of her pioneer settlers. He had seen Shelburne grow from it's primitive surroundings to a progressive village. He cleared the ground and built the first rail fence for his brother, William Jelly, the father of Shelburne, on the corner where the Royal Bank now stands. He was among the members of the early Municipal Council of the Township of Melancthon and later was a member of the Shelburne School Board. He was one of the first subscribers if the FREE PRESS and took a pride in presenting himself at this office on each anniversary of the commencement of the paper to pay his subscription.
He was married near Brockville on July 15th, 1862, to Eliza Ann Morrison who predeceased him on Oct. 23rd, 1909. He was an Anglican in religion, a conservative in politics and a Charter member of L.O.L. No. 1321, Shelburne, being a member of the Orange Order for over 65 years.
Four sons and four daughters are left to mourn his loss. The sons are W. J. Jelly, Shelburne, Robert Jelly, Edmonton, James Jelly, Melancthon and Andrew Jelly, Toronto. The daughters are, Mrs. Robert Morrison, Vancouver B.C., Mrs. Harry White, Shelburne, Mrs. A. W. Ruby, Midland, Ont. and Mrs. Milton Muter, Hamilton. His youngest son, Morrison Jelly, having predeceased him on the 4th of April last.
The remains were brought to Shelburne on Friday and the funeral was held on Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the home of his son-in-law, Harry White, to Shelburne cemetery, under the auspices of the Orange Order and was attended by a large number of the friends of the deceased.
The Rev. H. B. Williams, of St. John's Church, Horning's Mills conducted the service and Messrs. Wm. Campbell, W.M., Wm. Creary, D.M., and Wm. Johnston, Chaplain of L.O.L. No. 1321, were in charge of the part of the service under Orange auspices.
There were many beautiful wreaths and other floral offering from friends and relatives. The pallbearers were Messrs. A. Gilpin, John Burke, Thos. Silk, J. R. Bates, A. E. Rosevear and W. E. Reid.
Amongst those attending from out of town were: Wm. Jelly and Miss Harriet Jelly, Brockville; Beatrice Jelly, Priceville; Mr. and Mrs. Milton Muter, Hamilton; Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Snider, Odessa and Mr. and Mrs. Wilmer Walker, Laurel.
The sympathy of the whole community is extended to the bereaved sons and daughters in the death of their father and also to those other relatives who share their loss.
|History of Shelburne|